Slim Evans Memorial Catfish Derby
- We hold four overnight catfish tournaments each year – June 24th, July 29th, August 26th, September 30th.
- Entry fee is $20 per person (entrants will receive any breakfast item on the menu for $8).
- First place winner will recieve a $100, and a Sportsman’s Warehouse Gift Certificate. Pay down is four places, based on number of entries.
- Sign ups – Fisher’s Landing Gas Dock (late sign-ups available in the bar until 8pm on Saturday night).
- All tournaments start on Saturday at 2pm and end on Sunday at 7:00am – One fish – 100% payback
- Weigh in is at 5:30am Sunday. Scales close at 7:00am sharp.
- Prizes awarded after 7am at the Fisher’s Landing Resort Bar & Grill patio.
The following article was submitted by Sherry Evans (Slim’s daughter)
The SlimCat Memorial Catfish Derby is in memory of Earvert Loy Evans AKA Slim who along with his twin brother Herbert Cloy Evans AKA Shorty were born in Texas. They were both avid fishermen and hunters, which in my opinion is becoming a lost art.
Slim found his paradise here at Fisher’s Landing in the 1960s while doing work for Yuma Proving Ground. Fishers became a family vacation every summer. Slim retired in the 70s and moved here permanently.
If you ever needed a tour guide, he was your man! He knew the river from Blythe to Imperial Dam as well as the back waters and dirt roads leading to the river. My Father passed away in July 2009.
Jimmy Phipps was one of the ones who started the memorial tournament in honor of my Father. Thank you to Jimmy who has also passed on. My family would like to thank all who have participated in the past tournaments. Details are posted on the Fisher’s Landing website. Look under fishing tournaments.
This year, in honor of the 11th anniversary of this memorial tournament we have made shirts and hats and if you are interested drop me an email, quantity, and size to email@example.com ASAP! When we get the sponsors finalized, we will post samples of items available and cost. Brenda Quinn Phipps and Sherry Evans (Slims) daughter coordinate this tournament
Must fish between Imperial Dam and Walters Camp
All fish must be caught on rod & reel
No trot lines or phone calls
Two pole stamp okay
Any violations of state rules or rules listed above will result in a disqualification
Jackpot Fishing Tournament
- Beginning Wednesday January 5th, and every Wednesday through the winter season. $5.00 per person entry fee – Winner takes all!
- Pay your $5 pp fee at the Rio Loco the night before. Launch at Fisher’s Landing Resort at 7am, weigh-in at Fisher’s Landing Bait Shop / Gas Dock promptly at 1pm.
- Biggest fish/any kind wins it all! AZ Game & Fish rules apply. Call Fisher’s Landing Resort for more details. (928) 782-7049
Jackpot Fishing Tournament